Braided Cucumber California Rolls
05 February 2021
This is a fun spin on a California roll. It makes for a cool party piece and is a lot of fun to put together.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 sheet nori
- 200 grams sushi rice
- Half an avocado sliced
- 200g fresh salmon or Tuna, sliced
- Sesame seeds
How to make it
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap onto your work surface. Slice cucumber thinly with a vegetable slicer to make 20 thin strips.
- Place 10 strips horizontally onto the wrap. Then underlay and overlay the remaining strips of cucumber vertically, making a braid pattern.
- Place a sheet of nori on top of the braided cucumber.
- Spread sushi rice on top of the nori sheet, leaving a little space open at the end.
- Arrange fish, avocado slices and omelette pieces on top.
- Take two corners of the plastic wrap between your fingers, gently lift up one end and roll up tightly
- Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- With your sharp knife cut into bite-sized pieces and arrange onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top
- Serve in the traditional style with soy sauce, wasabi paste and pickled ginger